Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Super Soccer

After a rough first week, when he spent 1/3 of the hour watching from the sidelines, Liam has settled in well to the Super Soccer program. Katie did the program last year and he wanted to desparately but was too little. It is a fundamentals program, teaching them skills through drills and games, but no competition - everyone always has their own ball. It is 1 hour per week at the Okotoks Rec centre. Every week on the way there we have the same conversation ..."Mommy what is my soccer teacher's name" and I reply "Kirsten", and he replies "Oh, Kirsten. Mommy what is my swimming teacher's name?" My reply "Corrine". I don't know if he can't remember because they are similar or if he is just fascinated by their names because this week my reply was "Can you tell me their names?" and he rattled them off correctly. Either way these two girls are bringing my little introvert out of his shell. He continues to tend to go off into his own world sometimes and needs some reminders to follow instructions (this was very hard for me to watch and be quiet about the first couple weeks, but I am good now), but he follows Kirsten around on that field like he is in love - A game of tag? She is always his target. What time is it Mister Wolf? He runs past all the kids and chases her. It has been fun watching him in these programs as previously I always dropped him off and left.
 Being "The Wolf" during warm up games
 Running past the kids, trying to catch Kirsten
Practicing stopping the ball with his feet, not his hands

No comments: