Monday, February 7, 2011

Semi in the ditch

Last weekend (Jan 28-30) we had a pretty nasty winter storm, not a lot of snow accumulation but blowing winds poor visibility. I actually stayed in the city after work on Friday night as I had to work at 8am on Saturday, but decided to go home after work Sat, despite the roads still being in rough condition. Thankfully I talked to Bryan before I hit Hwy 547 or I would have been panicking. 2 EMS crews and 2 RCMP passed me heading west, then when I could see our house from about 4km away I could see the lights of the fire truck in front of our house - a semi-truck had flipped in our driveway! Thankfully the driver was alright, a bump on his head and possibly a concussion but otherwise no harm done. The truck flipped around 3:30pm and it wasn't removed until 5am Sunday morning. The fire department was out front with lights flashing all night, which the kids enjoyed...as did Bryan...he spent the night hanging out with the firefighters. Just an indicator of how bad the roads were, the hazmat truck that was coming out to the site hit the ditch too! I probably should have stayed in town that night too, but made it home and back to work on Sunday safely.





No comments: